Online library systems have improved research experience for students all over the world. Many education systems across the globe have installed the systems. In addition, if you can’t find the information you are looking for in the school online library, you can still use the search engine. When using online libraries, you will experience a wide range of benefits. However, it is hard to ignore the fact that those systems have their share of disadvantages. In this article, we are going to look the positive aspect of using the online library as well as the cons to expect.
Benefits of Using Online Library
- Access to an astounding range of online resources– online libraries are packed with multiple resources covering any subject you may think of. All information uploaded on online libraries is quality-assessed by subject specialists to ensure it is correct and relevant. In addition, you can find a wide range of journals, magazine, and encyclopedia uploaded on these libraries to help you with your research. Some of the materials are centuries old and very useful, especially when studying history.
- You can access information 24/7– online library system allow you to access information at any time of the day from any place you may be. The system also allows several people to access the same source of information at once.
- It’s very easy to retrieve information– online libraries have friendly user interfaces that make it easy for you to navigate through different sections. In addition, there is a search button that allows you to enter a keyword of your research and you are presented with multiple resources that contain the keyword hence easing the search.
- Freedom to use your preferred formatting– not all people are comfortable with font formatting used on several materials. For instance, you may feel that the font is too small hence preventing you from reading faster or comprehending what it is talking about. The online library gives you the benefit that you can download the material and format the font to something more comfortable.
Disadvantages of Using Online Library
Despite their credibility, online libraries have disadvantages that you should be aware of when using the system. These include:
- Some information may be inaccurate– information found in online libraries is stored in large databases that need regular updating to ensure it’s always accurate. Due to the size of these databases, keeping them updated is demanding. When not done in a timely manner, you are likely to access inaccurate and confusing information.
- They can lead to procrastination– most students are affected by this con. Knowing that you can easily access all information you require to do your assignment can tempt you to wait until the last minute. Doing your assignment an hour or two prior submission results in plagiarism. You also don’t understand what you are writing about and in the end, you miss the entire meaning of assignment. Worse still, you can take this procrastination behavior to your career life hence harming your career.
Looking at the pros and cons of online library experience, we can say that the libraries are highly useful and advantageous. Gauging by the speed at which libraries are technologizing, the intimacy between researchers and online libraries will continue to increase. Many online libraries are adopting new technologies based on the needs and expectations of students.